So yesterday and the night before that, I made two batches of slow cooker stew. The first batch went over to Annie’s family and the second batch is currently in the fridge as well as with Annie for her lunch today.
I love my slow cooker for making stews and chilli. I recently even tried making pulled pork and it turned out reasonably well. I don’t have any single recipe for my stew, and each time is a little different, but it is never offensive tasting. It is simple, hearty and filling.
After being absolutely drained, finding time and energy to cook for others was really nice. I know that I’ll love eating the second batch of stew with Annie, and I hope her family likes the one I brought over to them.
- 1lb Stewing Beef
- 3 Large Potatoes
- 1 Cup Chopped Carrots
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Lengths of Celery
- 1 Cup Minced Mushrooms
- 1 Box Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Secret Recipe Powder
- Cover the beef in flour and brown on a hot oiled pan.
- Cut the potatoes into chunks around the same size as the beef cubes and place them in the slow cooker.
- Cut up all the rest of the veggies and place them in the slow cooker.
- Add in the broth, garlic powder, secret ingredient and stir.
- Add in the lightly cooked beef and stir.
- Season with salt and/or pepper
Cook on low for 8-12 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
Annie’s Preference: Add a quarter cup of flour half way through for a thicker broth, and stir until clumps are gone.