So, I was talking to my cousin today, and he is getting ready to upgrade his computer. I use the term upgrade loosely as he is pretty much replacing most of the main components, and it will pretty much be a brand new computer.
It got me thinking about what I would buy if I could buy a new computer today, and didn’t have to worry too much about any sort of budget (but I didn’t go too crazy!).
I currently think I have a pretty kick butt computer, and so I am in no rush to buy another one, but here’s what I came up with.
- Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box
- ASUS P6T X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard
- 2x Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C8 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Core i7 Memory Kit
- Radeon HD 5870 850MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.8GHZ PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI Display Port
- Antec P193 ATX Tower Case Black 11 Drive Bay 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Sound
- Antec Truepower New 750W Modular Power Supply ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready 120MM PWM Fan
- 2x LG W2343T-PF 23IN 1920X1080 1080P Black LCD 5ms 30000:1 DVI VGA Monitor
- 3x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
- LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM
- OCZ Agility 2 Extended 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
- Liteon IHOS104 4X BLU-RAY Reader BD-ROM Drive SATA Black Retail Box
- Logitech Wireless Desktop MK700 Keyboard and Laser Combo 2.4GHZ USB
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 PCI Retail Box Bilingual
- Logitech Z-2300 Speaker System 2.1 200WRMS 400W 8IN Subwoofer
Total Price: $3,290.79 before tax and shipping.
By the time I will most likely buy it, some of those parts won’t exist, but it will probably cost around $1500, and for me, that’s the most I am willing to pay at any one time for a new computer.